No other months get you in the fall spirit like October and November do. The orange, red, and brown leaves, crisp morning air, starry nights, pumpkin everything, and time with family… it doesn’t get more fall than that!
And with the changing seasons come new beauty tips and trends. Keep reading for some of our top clean beauty trends for this season.
As we get closer to the end of fall and beginning of winter, you may notice your skin starting to get drier than usual. Don’t be alarmed, this is totally normal! According to Forefront Dermatology, five common reasons for drier skin during colder months are:
- Less humidity, meaning colder, dryer air
- Strong winds (look out, Chi-town!)
- Cold air outside, warm air from heat inside
- Hot showers feel incredible, but can be harsh on your skin
- Sweater weather is great for Instagram photos, but may make your skin itchy and irritated
Our skin will naturally get dryer in the coming months. Stay on top of your skin health by trying out some moisturizers. If you’re not sure where to start, here are some great options for clean, non-toxic moisturizers and face creams for this season. These products work as great stocking stuffers as well!
Just like your skin, your hair gets dry during the colder months as well. Although everyone has very different hair types, here are a few general tips to keep your hair fresh and moisturized these next few months:
- Wear a hat, but make sure it has a silk lining. Harsh fabrics, like wool, can cause damage.
- Get regular trims (every 4-8 weeks will suffice).
- Turn down the water temperature in your showers.
- Increase your use of conditioners. Try a leave in or deep conditioner every 1-2 weeks to keep your hair moisturized.
- Tip: Stay away from products with chemicals like sodium laureth sulfate or mineral oil.
- Reduce how often you wash your hair, natural oils are your friend.
- Put the blow dryer and curling iron to rest (just for a bit) and try air drying.
- Integrate more protective styles into your routine, like braids, twists, and buns.
Hair care is important all year round, but especially during the colder months. The cool, dry air might get you in the cheery, holiday spirit, but it really isn’t great for your hair. If you’re looking for more tips and tricks for your specific hair type, check out some recommendations for curly hair and straight hair. And if you’re interested in more detailed hair care tips for straight, curly, wavy, or kinky hair, check out this article from Healthline.
Pop of Color
Everyone loves sweater weather, I mean, how could you not? Baggy oversized sweaters not only look cute, but they’re insanely comfortable as well. (And that goes for everyone!). One beauty product that pairs perfectly with a neutral, oversized sweater is lipstick! Just because we see a lot of neutral tones in fall doesn’t mean we can’t (pumpkin) spice it up with our lipstick color. You can never go wrong with a taupe sweater and bright red lip.
Want to keep it more subtle? Throw on a neutral oversized sweater (or tee, if it’s still hot where you live) and pair it with a mauve lipstick. Going for a modern, monochromatic look? Try a burgundy sweater and lip. The options are endless.
Mani & Pedi
Keeping your nail color consistent with the current season may sound like a task, but it can be a really fun activity once you get into it! Try starting with a polish that is non-toxic and free from formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate. Here are some brands that make non-toxic nail polish. As for the color? This fall, try a brown shade—dark or light will work. If you want your nails to pop (you can even match your nails with your lip color for bonus points), try a bright red or deep, glossy fuchsia. And if you really want to make a statement, go for a shimmery plum or purple polish.